Newly published HA-REACT training manual on HIV and HCV rapid testing
The "Training manual on HIV and HCV rapid testing in low-threshold settings for PWUD" is designed to be a complete tool to provide staff in low-threshold settings the knowledge, skills and techniques needed for testing people who use drugs for HIV and HCV and linking them to needed care.
The content of the manual was adopted from previously developed guidelines, manuals and handbooks and is based on international best practices. The curriculum includes eight modules with descriptions of content to be taught and tips for practical exercises. The modules can be used as a complete 3-day training or independently.
The modules are:
- Module 1. Basic information about HIV, HCV and TB
- Module 2. Different types of tests
- Module 3. Pre- and post-test counselling
- Module 4. Attracting clients
- Module 5. Gender specific approach
- Module 6. Linkage to care
- Module 7. Quality Improvement
- Module 8. HIV/HCV community-based counseling and testing in prison
It is aimed to improve early diagnosis of HIV, viral hepatitis and TB as well as get a better linkage to care for men and women who inject drugs.
This training manual is developed by HA-REACT work package 4, which is lead by Alexandra Gurinova, Deutsche AIDS-Hilfe (DAH), Germany.